Make a list of each of the following things:
- 3 smells you enjoyed as a child
- 3 of your favorite clothing items & their significance
- 3 experiences that shaped you as a person
- 3 of your favorite colors & sounds
- A word association list beginning with the word “animal”
Now, write a poem in which you describe what your own self-portrait looks like. Include items from the list above & place them somewhere on your body. (Ex: and there, just below the cheekbone, rests the first person i loved, an unforgiving mound of earth.)
What are you wearing in your self-portrait? Why that particular item of clothing? Think about your experiences with love, loss, laughter, and desires. Perhaps include the names of your favorite books or authors, your skills/talents, your dreams for the future, and/or stories you were told as a child. The possibilities are endless. Try to answer the question, What has shaped you? Illuminate that photo.